The Wood Program
Aalto University Department of Architecture offers a one year intensive programme focusing on wood and wooden architecture. The Wood Program explores the ecological, technical and architectural properties of wood, providing a thorough and all-round view on the whole chain of wood construction, beginning with the tree in the forest and ending up with an experimental wooden building.
The programme is intended for architects and students of architecture, with a Bachelor’s degree or at least three years of studies in architecture, landscape architecture or related fields. The language of instruction is English.
The Wood Program deals with the following topics:
- The ecological importance of forests and wood
- The technical properties of wood
- Wood as a building material
- The tradition of wooden buildings
- The maintenance and renovation of wooden buildings
- Wood in the built environment
- Modern wood architecture
The Wood Program studies take place in the Department of Architecture, in an inspiring Otaniemi campus milieu with Alvar Aalto designed department premises and with well equipped studio spaces and workshops.
By the end of the first semester, an individual competition amongst the Wood Program students is held for a project which will be developed and built as a group in the second semester. The competition for the Wood Program 2013-2014 is to create a canopy/pavilion/gate at the entrance to the technology tent for the TAF event which will occur in April 2014. The brief given by the client should suit the following requirements:
– to create a unique design with inspiration from both nature and technology
– the design should be an innovative structure that catches attention and invites people
– create a memorable experience when entering the tent/ pavilion
For more information please visit the site: